Bionaturalis Premium Organic Buckwheat has been lightly roasted, imparting a distinctly nutty flavor and crunchy texture. Bionaturalis buckwheat is alternative grain that can be prepared as a cereal, used in pilafs, or added to soups and stews.
Despite what their name implies, buckwheat groats are actually unrelated to wheat. In fact, they are not technically even a grain, but rather the hulled seeds of the buckwheat plant. Naturally gluten free, buckwheat is one of the best plant sources of protein, containing 8 essential amino acids. It is also a great source of fiber, minerals (like manganese, copper, and magnesium), and B vitamins.
To Cook: Sort and rinse. Add 1 part of buckwheat to 2 parts boiling water, cover, and simmer 15-25 minutes, or until grain is tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve.
1. Dress up cooked buckwheat with browned onions, parsley, and dill.
2. Try buckwheat as a filling for stuffed cabbage, or add to cabbage soup.
3. Substitute for rice or bulgur in pilafs, stuffings, and side dishes.
4. Prepare as a hot cereal by cooking in juice or milk, then add your choice of sweeteners, dried fruits, or nuts.
5. Cook buckwheat with egg and chicken or beef broth, then mix gently with chopped onions, celery, and mushrooms.